The LA Podcast
Episode 144: “Pelosing My Religion” – Show Notes
Council District 4
- Things have continued to heat up in the race between David Ryu and challenger Nithya Raman.
- Following last week’s announcement that Bernie Sanders endorsed Raman in CD4, two big announcements came in for Ryu. On Tuesday, Ryu announced the support of Speaker Nancy Pelosi. On Friday came the word that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had also weighed in in favor of the incumbent.
- There’s also been a continued spate of one-sided press coverage from local outlets, including the Los Feliz Ledger – which was roundly criticized for a story that suggested Nithya Raman had been responsible for a vitriolic campaign season. They subsequently ended up apologizing for their claim that they had reported about Ryu’s attempted rape charge when it turned out their reporting had been an “aggregated” version of an Emily Alpert Reyes story for the Los Angeles Times.
- In brighter news, Nithya responded to a Ryu attack ad with her own video explaining how her campaign routinely handles conflicted contributions.
- There have been conversations all year about what a Democratic administration under Joe Biden might look like, but speculation is really heating up with the election a few weeks away.
- Politico thinks Garcetti’s got the Department of Transportation cabinet position in the bag.
- Vox agrees.
- But Garcetti is being characteristically… well, it’s not coy, is it? Noncommittal, let’s say.